Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Mmmm... Porter....

I thought I was going to have some free time right before thanksgiving, because I didn't have any big tests. However, I forgot to account for the wedding in Atlanta, the cleaning of the house, and the packing for the holidays that had to occur before leaving Augusta for thanksgiving weekend. As a result I have gotten a little behind on the blog. At least one of you notice via my facebook status that I did drink the Great Divide Saint Bridget's Porter. Here are the stats:

Saint Bridget's Porter
Brewery: Great Divide Brewing Company
Style: American Porter
Acohol: 5.9%
Serving Type: Bottle poured into Pint Glass
Cost: $1.99

I have had this beer before. Infact, I attribute my newfound taste for darker beers to this beer. I have really liked all the great divide beers, and this has certainly been no exception.

This beer, as you can see from the picture. did not have alot of head, however, I did not really expect it to. I am not sure how much head dark beers are suppose to have, but in my limited experience they do not typically have alot. Plus, this one didn't really have any last time I had it.

Again I did not get a very strong aroma from this beer, but I am wondering if this is a resault of the lingering effects of a cold I had about a month and a half ago (my nose has never seemed to be the same since then). However, there was a light aroma typical of the dark beers. An earthy almost coffee chocolate mix.

The smell leads straight into the taste. This beer definately has a fair full bodied feel too it with a full and distinct chocolate/rich coffee like taste. Overall this beer is a nice smooth drinker.

It tempurature in my house when I drank this beer was around 62F, because I am cheap and try to wait as long as possible to turn the heat on in my house. I drank this while watching a basketball game on my computer in bed with my matress warmer on. I think I really understand why the darker beers are often considered winter beers. The full bodied taste really does go down nice in the cold weather.

Overall I would say that this is a very nice beer, definately a rebuy, maybe even one that I would keep generally stocked if I had the fridge room and the beer budget to afford it.

No comments:

Post a Comment